The Parish Church of Saint MatthewBig Lamp ~ Newcastle
Heading back towards the West door, we come to the Baptistery, a spacious area under the Tower and suggested by the great piers bearing the weight of the structure above it.The Font, sitting on three marble steps, is thought to date from 1895; though it appears to be an amalgamation of an earlier pedestal, with a later bowl which matches the steps. The Font is where people are baptizedinto membership of the Church.The cover was rescued from Saint Cuthbert's Church. The six Requiem Candlesticks were designed by Canon David Hinge and executed by Arthur Barnaby. Behind the Font, covered by a purple curtain, is the Aumbry for the Holy Oils. This was re-sited from the Sacrament Chapel when the chapel was restored in 2011.The tower houses a ring of eight bells thought to be the seventh heaviest eight in the world (tenor: 31cwt + in Db). They proved too heavy for the fabric and were lowered a level in the 1990s to reduce the forces on the tower. The NaveAs we look Eastward from the Baptistery, we are offered a grand perspective of the building. If we look upward we can see the fine roof peppered with bosses.