The Parish Church of Saint MatthewBig Lamp ~ Newcastle
The Southwest corner
Westward of the Chapel is the South door. The flight of steps, which is half of the ascent, since there are more outside the door, indicates the gradient of the slope on which the church is built. Above the door is a window depicting scenes from the Nativity by Stanley Murray Scott. Adjacent to the door, next to the entrance to the stairs leading to the roof is a crucifix which was formerly the Rood at S Philips, having been brought back from Oberammagau by members of the congregation. Underneath the Crucifix is a second war memorial. This came from the former Saint Wilfrid's church. It was installed in Saint Matthew's in 2018, having been discovered in a garden shed. The photograph is of Robert Potts (b 1894) of the Durham Light Infantry (2ndBattallion), who was killed in action at the Battle of Hooge on 9thAugust 1915. He is named on the memorial and picture was left by his family when they came to view the restored memorial.On Remembrance Sunday, we sing a Mass of Requiem for those who fell in the World Wars.